Friday, November 30, 2012

Resources for Celebrating Student Work

Favorite Resources

This lists the most visited posts to appear on Free Technology for Teachers. This list is current as of July 1, 2011.


This list is based on my personal selections for favorite resources. The numbers assigned do not reflect their relative value. The numbers reflect only the order in which they came to mind and wrote them down on June 26, 2012

10. Aviary

_____________________________________________________________________________


ESPECIALLY FOR MATH:
http://www.freetech4teachers.com/2011/01/11-mathematics-resources-to-try-in-2011.html#.ULOn9I7W55g

ESPECIALLY FOR HEALTH/PHYS ED:
http://www.pennmedicine.org/encyclopedia/em_DisplayAnimation.aspx?gcid=000004&ptid=57

TECHNOLOGY TOOLS:
http://wallwisher.com/      

FOR PRESENTATIONS:

FOR ELA:

4 comments:

  1. I read the article you sent us about emphasizing effort to empower learning. I think the culture of the classroom really can make or break a students attitude towards the subject. The culture should be safe, but when events occur that "promote" failure to get to the correct answer, there should be a safe feeling for the student. Especially in middle school, one comment to a student can hurt or inspire students all year.

    I like how the article explained it might be as simple as the way you say something to encourage a student. Even though we don't grade on effort, if the student knows they are putting forth the correct effort, that this will eventually lead them to correct answers and strong scores.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, once again, Julie, for your thoughtful comments about something on the blog. Do you have any suggestions for me to encourage others to participate on the blog?

      Best wishes for a wonderful holiday with your family and your little one.

      Fondly,
      Cher

      Delete
    2. I like your response about the article Julie. I know that some teachers use CPS units to keep students anonymous, but that doesn't help if you need to see a student's work to make sure they are doing it correctly. I hate there is no way of grading for effort because some of my more reluctant students may try a little harder.
      I guess my problem is that I am not seeing a lot of effort, and I need to work on that from a personal stand point. I will need to try harder to make sure that if a student gets the wrong answer, I have them give me their reasoning on why they chose it. Maybe if I can get inside their head to see what they are thinking, I can guide them a little better on how to think about an answer differently (or correctly).

      Delete
  2. One of the things that I am going to really try this 2nd semester is using Class DOJO. It is free and you can keep track of your students behavior- such as effort.
    another option and thing that I am going to try is call Class Badges. Although you could use either for formative assessment recording / behavior recording I am going to try and use one for behavior and one for formative assessment recording.
    Feel free to check them out
    www.classbadges.com
    www.classdojo.com

    ReplyDelete