Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Feedback

I just finished reading Margaret Heritage's chapters on feedback and figured I would begin the comments.  The reflection questions at the end Chapter 6 (Formative Feedback for Learning) ask about our own type of feedback provided in the classroom.  The type of feedback I typically provide is verbal hints, guidance, and further instruction when helping students during their formative assessment (whether it be an activity, worksheet, homework, stations, or CPS questions).  Generally I have found immediate feedback to be the most effective in math.  Delayed feedback on their homework or other things turned in does not seem to be as effective because students disregard it - they don't read the comments or throw the assignment away.  I thinks verbal feedback is the most effective because it provides me with the opportunity to know what the student is thinking and identify their misconceptions.  The two-way communication also provides an opportunity for them to identify their own misconceptions, thus engaging in self-assessment.

The other question asked in the book was how often we utilize self and peer assessment.  To be honest, I do not feel like I use it enough.  I have students working together often, but rarely have them assessing other classmates' work.  The problem I have in doing this is that I feel like this has to be taught over multiple days. I think the teacher has to show examples of how to assess, has to create the right culture that encourages kids to be collaborative, and has to help develop "assessing" skills.  The problem I have with this is TIME.  With math, I feel that doing one extended response question this way could take half the period.  If I had the time, I would LOVE to do that.  However, I feel so bogged down with content that I do not have that kind of time.  There are so many standards I must get to...hopefully with the Common Core it will be different!

No comments:

Post a Comment